Elmhurst Community Unit District 205 continues to closely monitor updates from the health community on the COVID-19 virus. While there have been no confirmed cases in the school district, an abundance of caution must be exercised to limit the spread of illness throughout our school community.
We would like to share that all Edison PTA programs have been suspended, postponed, or rescheduled. We know many parents have been calling Mrs. McGreal in the Edison office to confirm the status of programs, and we thought it best to communicate with you directly. We are listing everything that we know at the moment.
- March 12 Art Club - cancelled
- March 12 Prep Band and Orchestra after school rehearsal - cancelled
- March 12 All District Band Concert - cancelled
- March 13 Monthly REACH Parent Group Meeting - cancelled
- March 14 Reflections Reception at Judith B Salon - cancelled
- March 16 4th Grade fieldtrip - cancelled
- March 16 Sticky Fingers - cancelled
- March 16 Stage Stars - cancelled
- March 16 Intramurals - cancelled
- March 17 Edison PTA Meeting - cancelled, our next PTA meeting is scheduled on Tuesday, April 21.
- March 17 D205 School Board Meeting - cancelled
- March 17 D205 Chess Tournament - cancelled, there are no plans for rescheduling. Those of you that have registered have paid a $3 donation for participation. We can make arrangements for you to pick up your donation in the Edison office. As another option, you could donate that money to the PTA for use in Chess Club in the next school year. Please contact Lindsay Forsberg to indicate which option you would prefer.
- March 17 Intermediate Band and Orchestra after school rehearsal - cancelled
- March 18 4th & 5th Grade Mathletes - cancelled
- March 19 Prep Band and Orchestra after school rehearsal - cancelled
- March 19 Art Club - cancelled
We have several events planned after spring break including Trivia Night, Spring Running Club, and the Rube Goldberg night. We plan to communicate the status of these events at a later time. All after school programs such as Art Club, Band, Orchestra, Stage Stars, Sticky Fingers and Intramurals are cancelled until D205 communicates otherwise.
Thank you for your understanding and stay healthy!
Tuesday, March 17 will be a voting day at Edison School. Elmhurst community voters will be using the MPR for the presidential primary. Mr. Pluskota has been diligently working with the voting commission to remove Edison as a voting location, however a suitable alternative has not been found. Student safety is always our number one priority so we will put the following procedures in place for this date.
*Students will be reminded not to open doors for anyone including people they know.
*Students will eat lunch in the gymnasium. Although this may seem like an undesirable location, the students seem to enjoy the change of pace for the lunch period.
*We will have the District Resource Officer stationed at our school during school hours to ensure the safety of all students and staff members at Edison School.
EDISON TRIVIA NIGHT
Get your captains hats, croquet clubs and argyle socks ready because it’s time for Edison Trivia Night - this year's theme is Hamptons Social! As always, dressing the part is highly
encouraged. Suggested attire ideas include your wildest golf and tennis outfits, anything nautical or preppy, all white, pastel colors, argyle prints… get creative and dress to impress! Join us on Saturday, April 4, 7:00-11:00 pm at the Knights of Columbus. Trivia will start promptly at 7:30 pm. The cost is $40 per person and teams will consist of 8 people. Snacks and pizza will be provided and there will be a cash bar. Register electronically
or drop off a completed flyer
in the office. Payment can be submitted electronically via Memberhub
or a check made payable to the Edison PTA. Questions? Contact Melissa Pittman
or Katie Balke
SPRING RUNNING CLUB
Spring Session of the Edison Running Club starts on Wednesday, April 1st, during early lunch from 11-11:30am for 6 weeks. Due to construction, we will have a new course
for the kids to run and we will need many parent volunteers! Signup to volunteer coming soon. The students will be running the sidewalk loop of Huntington Ln, Fair Ave, Church St and Linden Ave. A permission slip (available soon!) will need to be completed prior to April 1 for your child to be eligible to run this spring. Questions? Contact Scott Rathbun
or Megan Farley
SIX FLAGS READ TO SUCCEED
The Six Flags Read to Succeed is an exciting program that encourages students in grades K-6 to read for fun. Students who complete six hours of recreational reading by Friday, April 3rd will earn a visit to our favorite theme park! Click here for the 2019-2020 Reading Log which includes registration details. Paper forms will no longer be accepted. Parents will register online using the Edison code FWGRX, and then select your child's teacher. Multiple students can be registered under one parent account, and then hours will be logged per child. Questions? Contact Nikki Dolvig.
RUBE GOLDBERG EVENT
Encourage your 3rd-5th grader to be on a team for the first-ever Rube Goldberg Event here at Edison! Click here for information and to see videos on the official Edison Studio 2020 Rube Goldberg Event website! Teams will use ordinary household objects from your homes to design and build a zany, over-engineered contraption to perform a very simple task! The task for us? RING A COWBELL! Starter kits (courtesy of the Edison PTA) include six items, including the cowbell, but many more items can and should be added from your homes! Please sign up for the event and pick up your starter kit prior to Friday, April 3rd. The teams should plan and design their Rube Goldberg machine before the event and then bring their supplies and mad engineering skills to the Edison Gym on April 7th from 5:00-6:30 pm! Questions? Contact Mrs. Greska.
Please order your yearbook for the 2019/20 school year! All orders are due by April 13. Log in to treering.com and enter code 1013777030152436 to order your’s today. You can also log in to your Treering account and confirm if you have ordered or not. So far, we are at 41%. Edison students will receive their yearbooks on the last day of school and have the opportunity to exchange autographs and well wishes in their books. It’s a great end of the school year send off! Questions? Contact Katie Glavinskas.
Edison Mathletes are meeting today, Wednesday, March 11 to fill brackets for March Math Madness in the conference room during the lunch period. This is the 3rd of 4 Spring Training sessions in preparation for Edison's first ever Math Pentathalon, which will take place on the last day. (3/18 details to follow) Please remember to submit the $5 spring registration fee to the office (cash or check made payable to: Edison PTA.). Please note, the fall and spring Mathletes have separate registrations, and the spring session is now closed. Questions? Contact Gwen Reedy or Scott Rathbun. The Edison Mathletes would like to wish everyone a Happy Pi Day on 3.14!
GREAT WOLF LODGE
Edison PTA is partnering with Great Wolf Lodge Illinois to give you up to 30% off your stay, plus Great Wolf Lodge will donate 10% of the room rate back to our school. Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee includes an expansive 80,000 square-foot indoor waterpark, plus a number of family-friendly attractions including a ropes course, a climbing wall, mini golf, bowling and MagiQuest, an interactive adventure game. Book before June 12, 2020 and stay at the lodge on or before September 13, 2020. As an added bonus, every guest registered to your room age 15 and under can enjoy mini golf, bowling, the ropes course and climbing wall for FREE. ($50 value!) Book now at GREATWOLF.COM/ILLINOIS or 844.482.9653. **Use promo code 4MYSCHOOL when booking and provide the Qualifying ID Number: 3376
CANCELLED - Join us on March 12, 2020 for the D205 All District Band Festival. Come support our 4th-12th grade band students as we celebrate their efforts and musicianship in a live concert in the York Fieldhouse at 7:30 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public. We are expecting this event to be well attended, so leave yourself ample time to park and find a seat. We hope to see you there!
Monthly REACH Parent Group Meeting – March 13, 2020, 8:30 am in Sandburg’s Maker Space. Guest, Leslie Weber, D205 REACH Coordinator will be present. We'll be discussing our upcoming Freshman Readiness Workshop, next year's plans, approving REACH Teacher Classroom Donation Requests, and will be ready to answer any questions our parents bring to us! Please park in the north (back) parking lot, ENTER DOOR 7. You’ll sign-in/out at the meeting so skip the office. (Note, if you are arriving late, after 8:30, please enter through the main entrance.) OPEN TO ALL parents, not just REACH parents.
CANCELLED - Opening Celebration for Reflections Reception The Opening Celebration at Judith B Salon is Saturday, March 14 from 5:00-7:00 pm. Come out and see what the talented students in District 205 have created.
The Elmhurst Music Boosters has several upcoming events. Please support EMB in the following ways:
-HB Jones Fundraiser, March 16, 5:00-8:00 pm. There will be live student performances! If your child would like to participate, please email Anne Olson.
-Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast with Student Performances, May 12. The Kiwanis of Elmhurst are strong supporters of EMB and in return we provide music for their annual Pancake Breakfast and Flower Sale. The Churchville and Bryan Jazz Bands are planning to participate and we also need soloists and small groups. If you'd like to participate, please email Anne Olson.
- REACH Parent Informational Night, "New to REACH?" - Thursday, April 2, 7:00 pm, presented by Leslie Weber, Director of Curriculum and REACH Coordinator. This evening’s content is focused on those new to the REACH program and/or those wanting to learn more about the program. Note, this is a repeat of the fall program; (no need to repeat if you attended already.) In addition, NO changes will occur, based on this year’s program review, that will impact identification for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Thrive 205 presents: Happy, Healthy, Almost Stress-Free College Planning & Success for Parents and Students w/ National Author Harlan Cohen. 7:00 pm April 7, 2020 in the York High School Commons. Free Event. Parents and Students Encouraged to Attend. Seating: 300 College is a BIG change — it’s a dramatic change with new challenges most students and parents never see coming. As a result, millions of students are struggling. New York Times bestselling author of the #1 book on college life, Harlan Cohen (The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College and The Naked Roommate: For Parents Only!) helps students and parents know what’s coming and how to create the best college experience. Harlan exposes and explores the latest facts, stats, and strategies to guide high school and college students as they navigate all the changes ahead. He helps parents and grandparents know how they can be the best partners along the way. Harlan uses his trademark humor, personal anecdotes, and interactive style to engage audiences of all ages.
- As parents, your voice continues to be vital as the D205 school community strives to be more mindful about the types of support that students need to thrive and become life ready. Please make plans to join us for two Thrive D205 open community forums:
*Early Childhood - Eighth Grade (Grades EC-8) Open Community Forum 7:00-8:00 pm, Monday, March 16 in the D205 Admin Center Boardroom. Seating for 70-80 people.
*High School (Grades 9-12) Open Community Forum 7:00-8:00 pm, Monday, April 13 in the D205 Admin Center Boardroom. Seating for 70-80 people.
Elmhurst District 205 is collaborating with Hazard, Young, Attea, and Associates (HYA) to facilitate this important community engagement project. Thrive D205 School & Community Wellness Partnership is a new initiative launched by the Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205. The effort is designed to start a community conversation and create a subsequent plan to better understand, support and reduce the stress levels among students in our school community.
The list of participants from the Summer Rec Open House is now online. Click here to access the drive. Save the Date for 2020! Summer Rec Open House will be held February 2, 2021.
Not playing the Jewel Monopoly game? The Elmhurst Yorkfield Food Pantry is collecting Monopoly tickets! Please consider collecting the tickets and sending them with your child to the school, we will collect them in the office. In past years, the food pantry has redeemed these winning tickets for thousands of dollars cash and food prizes. This is an easy and free way to support the pantry and our local community.