SQUARE 1 ART
Edison and Square 1 Art have once again partnered to create a unique opportunity to celebrate our students’ artistic accomplishments while raising much needed funds for our school. Don’t forget to order cool gifts for that special family member or hard-to-buy-for person. With over 40 unique and useful keepsakes ready to purchase during the Square 1 Art fundraiser, your child's artwork is the perfect gift for any occasion or celebration. It’s the final days of the fundraiser, so don’t delay. The last day to order is Thursday, November 14. Click here to start shopping.
Registration for Chess Club is open until November 15th. There are two steps to register: 1. Sign up HERE 2. Pay HERE. The fee to participate in Chess Club is $40 per student.
Chess Club is open to all 2nd through 5th graders that play at any level or are new to the game. We meet on Wednesdays during the lunch hour in the gym. Kids eat and play chess for the full hour, forfeiting recess. Because we schedule specific pairings for games, we ask students to commit to attending Chess Club every Wednesday when they sign up. It is also recommended that students bring a lunch from home on Chess Club days. It makes everything go smoothly, and they can get right into their game to make the most out of their time. Regular (10-week) season begins December 4, 2019 and ends February 19, 2020. Chess Club is seeking volunteers to help on Wednesdays during lunch, no experience required...we hire a coach! Interested in helping or questions? Contact Lindsay Forsberg.
Students who have not previously participated in Chess Club are welcome to attend our 2 week pre-season sessions (November 6th and November 13th) to see what it's all about. Pre-season participation in encouraged for all 2nd graders and those new to Edison Chess Club. Please notify your teacher if your child is interested. Registration is not required to attend pre-season.
ONE SCHOOL, ONE STORY
Our reading program is well underway, with only 2 more weeks for our students to submit their weekly trivia questions. Please continue to encourage your little readers at home to participate as we have more prizes to give away. BIG congrats to last week's lucky winners, they were: Dolcina Gray (K), Hollye Morrow (1), Brenner Dolvig (2), Kaitlyn O'Rourke (3), Ian Comparato (4) and Ava Glavinskas (5). They each received a skunk stuffed animal! We look forward to wrapping up this year's One School, One Story program with our Family Night on Thursday, December 5th from 6:30-7:30 pm. At this event, we hope to build awareness and provide more information on Autism Spectrum Disorder. Happy Reading!
- Nov 15 - week 3 trivia due Chapters 16-21 (pages 95-148)
- Nov 22 - week 4 trivia due Chapters 22-26 (pages 149-192)
This year, the book fair will be held from Wednesday, November 20th - Tuesday, November 26th. It is a fun volunteer opportunity. Anyone can sign up to work the cash register, help with the snack party, or help with set-up or take-down. No experience necessary for the cash register! Please check the sign-up sheet
and pick a time slot or two that works for you. Questions? Contact Amy Pawlick
or Nikki Dolvig
The Edison Mathletes are diligently working toward competing in the national Noetic Learning Math Competition later this month. Thank you for your quick turnaround of the permission slip last week. Please consider enrolling in Fall Challenge Math for extra practice at home. We are seeking parent helpers to lead groups for your student's grade in the spring. If you are interested please, please contact Gwen Reedy. On the contest dates, we ask that the Mathletes please bring a lunch from home to maximize the lunch hour, rather than wait for a hot lunch. Mathletes will eat quickly before taking the 45 minute test.
- 5th Grade - Please meet on November 13 in the conference room during the recess portion of the lunch hour. The contest date for 5th Grade Mathletes is Monday, November 18 during the entire lunch hour at Edison.
- 4th Grade - Please meet on November 13 in the conference room during the eating portion of the lunch hour. The contest date for the 4th Grade Mathletes is Wednesday, November 20 during the entire lunch hour at Edison.
BOON SUPPLY FUNDRAISER
Get a jump start on your holiday shopping! The Edison PTA is having a Boon Supply (formerly known as Mixed Bag Designs) fundraiser. Get everything from reusable totes to wrapping paper to kitchen gadgets to jewelry all while supporting Edison. This is the BEST BAG
for sending snow pants and boots to school! The PTA will receive 40% of all sales. Start shopping now
, our ID number is 585218. Students in grades K, 1, 2, and 3 came home with catalogues. We are only accepting online orders.
The last day to order is Friday, December 6.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM (WINTER SESSION)
Registration is now open for our winter after school program. Bricks4Kids
is back with another Lego robotic session for grades 1-5. The theme will be a STEM workshop called World of Amusement and Laws of Motion. Classes will run Mondays from 3:00-4:00 pm, running from December 2 - February 10 (8 week session). The class fee is $115. Click HERE
for additional details and registration information. Important Note: We need a parent volunteer present at each class. If you volunteer for every class of the session you will get FREE session enrollment for 1 student! If we do not have a volunteer for the entire session, then we need parents to volunteer via sign up genius. If we do not have enough parent volunteers the program will be cancelled. Questions? Contact Lesley Gunderson
BOBCAT BOOK CLUB
Calling all volunteers for this year's Bobcat Book Club! We are looking for 1-2 volunteers per grade level to lead our Bobcat readers in lively book discussions. The time commitment is 1 hour per week (during the lunch hour) for a total of 4 weeks starting in late January. Interested in helping or questions? Contact Jonathan Coan
or Dayna Massel
EDISON DAD'S CLUB
Please join the Edison Dad's Club at HB Jones (551 S York) for Monday Night Football games this season. This is a great chance to meet some new (and old) Edison Dads. We’ll be hanging in the Atrium. No need to RSVP, just stop in whenever works best for you. Questions? Contact Kevin Johnson
, Russ Perr
or Scott Rathbun
2019-2020 Edison Yearbook
Please take and send in pictures of your children at Edison events so that we can commemorate this year's fun and fill our yearbook pages. Questions? Contact Katie Glavinskas.
- Elmhurst PTA Council is excited to be partnering with United Community Concerns Association (UCCA) to support UCCA's Annual Food Drive. This year, in addition to the Food Drive, we are holding a Holiday Gift Card Drive for approximately 275 District 205 families who are experiencing difficult times. Families can use the gift cards to purchase presents for their children, helping to ensure they have a happy holiday! Gift cards in any denomination are welcome. Suggested gift cards include: Walmart, Target, Kohl's, Walgreens, CVS and York Theatre. The gift card collection runs at the same time as the food drive, October 28-November 22. Students can bring food and gift card donations to school where they will be collected. Thank you for your support to make the holidays a little brighter for those in need.
- District 205 PTA Council Scholarship Fundraiser - DIT Workshop. PTA Council is hosting two nights at DIT Workshop to raise funds for PTA scholarships given to gradating York seniors. Do It Together Workshops is a crafty place to come together and make handcrafted, hand-painted wood signs. In the workshop, you will be led through the steps of creating a unique piece that fits your home decor style. The cost of the event is $45. There will be a cash bar. Please sign up using the link below and pay either via check made out to "PTA Council" or Venmo to @kristie-szejner. The check can be dropped off or mailed to Kristie Szejner, 457 N. Emery Ln. Your spot will be fully reserved when we receive your payment. There are 24 spots per evening, so be sure to sign up soon! If you have any questions, contact Kristie at firstname.lastname@example.org or Beth at email@example.com There are two nights you can choose from: Thursday, November 14th from 6:30 - 9:30 or Thursday, November 21st from 6:30 - 9:30 https://www.ditworkshops.com/corp2
- The District 205 Foundation is thankful for your support and the almost $2 million raised since our inception! Please save the date for our Gala @ Medinah Country Club on February 8th. All event info and further details can be found on our website.
- Summer Recreation Open House - Tuesday, February 4, from 6:00 - 8:00 pm at York High School. You are invited to attend the 18th annual Summer Recreation Open House sponsored by Elmhurst District 205 and the Elmhurst PTA Council. This is a FREE event open to all Elmhurst families and neighboring communities. Browse the tables of various organizations offering summer activities and camps for all ages and abilities. For more information, please visit facebook.com/sroh205.